Sonic Screwdriver -->

Saturday 27 September 2014

S8E6: "The Caretaker"



I write under the assumption that you've seen the episode if you go past the page-break, which is only visible if you're on the home-page of the blog. Any other way, you must have clicked directly here, in which case, there is your error. I do not give a synopsis, I give a critical reaction.

I have to say, I quite liked it. It had the proper balance of exploring our humanity and the sci-fi that we look for, at least that I look for, in Doctor Who.

We got double-bingo this episode!
Clara can only have kept her secret from Danny for so long. If this were real life and not a scripted story, I would remark that its a bit incredible that she keeps that secret for so long in the first place.

I think what made this one stand out in the season for me was two things. Firstly, they are not obviously trying to go for a certain cinematic genre. Since the second half on season seven, a lot of it has looked like Moffat was envisioning the stories to conform to a certain genre--I think I even read something about that actually being real and not just a perception. Secondly, it wasn't fluff. "Robot of Sherwood" could be argued as genre-less, but it makes no reference to what we are getting a sense of to be the metanarrative of the season. That is, having something to do with the Promised Land and Missy.

The episode is overall a very emotional one. Although the plot with that alien robot thing is the gasoline, the engine is the social interaction. I've been missing that in the past few stories and its something I really like.

It's very evident that the Doctor and Danny are having a bit of a battle over Clara. Even though at the end it seems like they are reconcilled that Danny just has to be good enough for Clara, I don't think we've seen the end of it yet. There has been rumours of Jenna's departure from the show and the way things are now, I think that that will be the driving force behind it.

ON A SEPERATE NOTE: I (Ley) will be at New York Comic Con this year. If you're going to be there, I'd love to meet up with any/all of my readers! Just tweet me: @TARDIStyle_blog.

Like What You See?

Join Us On:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind while commenting. Vile comments will be removed upon their discovery.