Sonic Screwdriver -->

Saturday 20 September 2014

S8E5: "Time Heist"



I write under the assumption that you've seen the episode if you go past the page-break, which is only visible if you're on the home-page of the blog. Any other way, you must have clicked directly here, in which case, there is your error. I do not give a synopsis, I give a critical reaction.

How should I describe "Time Heist"?  I guess that there a lot of superlatives one could use. But what shall I call it...the best thing that comes to mind is the French world "mélange." For someone who is not a francophone, let me translate a bit: amalgamation, intermixture, mix, concoction, blended, mingled, jumbled mix, blend, muddle, scramble, intermingle, interwind. Whether intentional or not, there were many references through out the entire thing.

The whole of it has a sense that its a bit of a reference to "God Complex" (S6E11). The threat of the bid, menacing thing that we're not really that sure about. Not quite knowing how you got where you are. There was even a bit of music that reminded me of the music in "God Complex". Oh, and please tell me, did anyone else think that the Teller was the ripped cousin of Jarjar Binks?

Then we get to the more minute references. The items Psi an Saibra wanted, they were handed out like something straight out of "The Wizard of Oz". Then, later, when the Doctor is victim to the Teller, it's hard not to think of the parasite god from "Rings of Akhaten". How does all this tie in to what I want to say? Well, here it is. Either this is being done on purpose, which is possible, or, what I think is more likely is a phenomenon where even when this episode is co-written, it is still tired of Moffat. There is only so much one man can write about. Writing in an artistic way, in part, shows part of who you are as a person. There are only so many themes to explore within yourself. Again, I call for a change in the writers.

Moving on. The episode was well-executed. I'm not one for the "Oceans Eleven" genre, but I was pretty happy with this one. The plot moved along nicely and we didn't get hung up on any one plot point.

Next week's episode looks fantastic. At the very end of this one, we see a little spark of jealousy from the Doctor regarding Clara's time commitments with Danny. In the trainer for next week, we see him coming in to her workplace. I, for one, smirked a bit knowing that he was working at the school his granddaughter went to.

Like What You See?

Join Us On:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind while commenting. Vile comments will be removed upon their discovery.